Saturday, June 30, 2012

Selective Brayer


Usually I like to have lots of layers on my cards, and quite a bit of distressing too, so this card was something totally different for me.  I don't use my brayer very much, but I saw this idea with the select inking and wanted to give it a try.




I started out by tearing a couple strips of DSP to make the guide and then glued them to my working surface, then I slid my cardstock underneath them.  For the ink, I covered my brayer in Pool Party and covered the whole strip, then followed the the new Gumball Green one the bottom 2/3, and some Island Indigo up top.  The new ink pads are jucier than heck, so I had to give it a few goes before I got the variation that I wanted (I think I'll go back and try this again with a little more Pool Party showing through).  Also, the Island Indigo is very dark so I rolled off most of the ink before applying it.



Leaving my base in the guide I inked up the foliage stamp from Just Believe, and added it to the coloured strip.  I hardly ever use black and I forgot that it takes a while to dry, so I actually ended up smudging the first few tries before I just left it in there (and still managed to smudge - the butterfly on the right is hiding one).  While I was waiting for it to dry I stamped the big butterfly from the new set Papillon Potpourri in Versamark and heat embossed it with black powder.  Then I coloured it in with Melon Mambo and Pumpkin Pie and punched it out with the coordinating punch (LOVE punches).  the black butterflies are from the Embosslits Beautiful Wings and they're just glued to the base but I used a dimensional to give the main butterfly a little lift.  Finally, Curly Cute made an appearance for the sentiment.  I think this would also make a really nice sympathy card.

1 comment:

  1. Love this look. You did a great job of it! Neat idea with the butterfly coverup. Actually so many "mistakes" I've made ended up with very unique results. Your card has a very individually creative look -- and isn't that what we all want?

    ReplyDelete